Saturday, September 19, 2009

Update on the Breast Cancer Thing

Sorry I don't have any photos for you.

It's been three and a bit weeks since my mastectomy and I'm happy to say that I'm healing very well!

I finally had my long, awaited, appointment at the Victoria Cancer Clinic on Wednesday. It's three hours from home, but is one of the best places in the world to go for any kind of treatment.

Because I have an aggressive cancer (stage 2, High Grade Ductal Carcinoma In Situ) that tried to spread, I will be going through the maximum chemo therapy treatments: six. The treatments are three weeks apart and my first one is on October 2nd.

I have an appointment on October 6th with a Radiation Oncologist. This is because a month after I've finished my last chemotherapy appointment, I'll start radiation treatments.

I have tried to explain to my daughter what I'm going through is a six-year-old way. At first, I told her that I have a sore inside my body and the doctor's have to take it out. Then, when I went in for my 2nd operation, I told her the doctor's didn't get it all and they had to operate again. Then, on my third operation, I had to tell her that it was still there and to get it all the doctor's were going to have to remove my breast. I said it matter-of-fact so she didn't worry. She didn't. That was a relief.

Right after my third operation (in five weeks), my daughter asked me when my next surgery will be. -Out of the mouths of babes! LOL!

I told her that I was going to get a fake boob. She laughed and asked if it was going to be on the inside or the outside! I was very proud of this question, it was a good one!

A week and a half ago, I had an appointment with the Canadian Cancer Society to get fitted for a mastectomy bra and prostheses. I left with three bras and two prostheses. When I got home, I could not believe the price tag on the prostheses (which were donated to me) of $340- and $350-!!! I feel so fortunate!

Tomorrow, Sunday, my husband and I leave for a cruise, before my treatments start. It leaves out of San Diego and it's for five days with two stops: one in Encenada and the other in Cabo San Lucas. The reason for going on the trip is to try and forget about this cancer thing for a bit and also we had our 10 year wedding anniversary on July 31st. (Next month, we will have been together for 17 years!)

I'll update with more when we get back from our cruise.

No comments: